Thursday, January 28, 2010

"that chicken thingy"


I thought for a while about what I wanted to cook for my first post. There are so many things to choose from, I was actually slightly overwhelmed. I wanted it to be good. Well, I wanted it to great but I would have settled for good. My partner in crime, Alli J, had a craving that made my decision much easier (by the way, Alli J is going to be cooking with me as a little trainee, so world, meet Alli J. Alli J, meet world).

“Make that chicken thingy,” she told me. Yes, Chicken Tetrazzini is a great choice. It makes me miss mom-cooked meals and since we are learning to support ourselves, it may ease the process if we started with something familiar.

Here’s what you need:
1/4 cup of flour
1 stick of butter
1 pint of whipping cream
1 can of chicken broth
Chicken (we usually use 4 Tyson chicken strips)
Spaghetti noodles
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese

To make it:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

To make sauce:
Heat butter and flour on stovetop. When butter is melted, add whipping cream and chicken broth. Heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Continue to heat for a few minutes after boiling to allow sauce to thicken.

Cook chicken (we usually simply fry it up but there are other options).

Cook noodles.

Combine noodles and sauce in a large oven-safe pan. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and add chicken to noodles and sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top of mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

I’ll admit I’ve cooked this a few times, so no major disasters occurred this time around. Unless you count when I was a little off when I poured the noodles into the strainer. I never have had the best hand-eye coordination. No big deal, it’s food for the dog. He loves when we cook.

I think you’ll really enjoy this if you dare to give it a try. This meal is actually the most popular in our household. So try it out with a friend. Cooking has been a great bonding experience with my friends this year. It’s always a good time.

Have fun and good luck.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the introduction to the world, bethy! hahaha!
    as it turns out, i'm going to try making this tonight!.... on my OWN!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I'm hungry; good job. My cooking skills are limited at best, but this looks like something simple enough I might try on my own when the inspiration to make something more complicated than a can of Spaghetti O's strikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good, delightfully cheesy. The ingredients are really accessible too. If my blog didn't have me giving up meat I'd be trying this out myself. How much does the recipe serve?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you asked that, Niklos. I meant to mention it. It easily makes enough for 5 people, so definitely have some friends. It's also really good leftover.

    ReplyDelete

Apture