Sunday, March 7, 2010

love your leftovers

As a college student, I am on a tight budget. In fact, I currently have three jobs just to keep up with my bills. Money is a large factor in any of the decisions that I make. Food is expensive. Trying to cook on a budget can be very difficult. One of the best ways I have found to cut costs is to make use of leftovers. Sometimes eating the same thing can be fine, but more often than not, I would rather not repeat my meals. Below I've listed a few ideas to spice up your leftover life.

  1. Make Pot Pie: I love Pot Pie and never would have thought to do this if I didn't stumble upon this recipe. It's easy and I'm willing to bet it tastes good, and that's all that matters, right?
  2. Stir in chopped ham or a can of chili to your leftover Macaroni and Cheese (which you know you have frequently. It's ok, you're a college kid). It may sound gross right now, but give this a chance. It definitely puts a new spin on your typical leftover Macaroni and Cheese.
  3. Make grilled sandwiches or Monte Cristo Sandwiches with leftover meats. This is a simple way to use the meat that's drying up in your refrigerator.
  4. Check out the BigOven Leftover Wizard. This is pretty cool. You tell the wizard three ingredients that are in your refrigerator and it gives you a recipe using the food you already have. This can be a lifesaver.
There are a ton of different ideas out there to use and abuse the leftovers that are undoubtedly around your house. For a student on a budget, there is no excuse not to use your leftovers. What is your favorite thing to do with leftovers?

Have fun and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apture