Sunday, February 14, 2010

cooking from the heart

In case you missed all the pink and red that bombard you when you walk in the door at Wal-Mart, it’s Valentine's Day. Now while I really do think it’s a pretty cheesy holiday, I’m always a supporter of any excuse to eat chocolate. Chocolate is marvelous. And it makes you happy. But I digress.

I’m going to bet that most people simply go out and buy and box of chocolates for their significant other, which is fine. Like I said, chocolate is marvelous. But I think some of the best Valentine's Day gifts I’ve gotten are homemade. I think it’s nice when someone takes the time to actually make me something. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant, but baking a few heart-shaped cookies isn’t very difficult. And there are plenty of Web sites out there that will give you step-by-step instructions to anything you could possibly want to bake.

I looked around at what is out there this year. Out of all the sites I looked at, I thought Family Fun had some of the best stuff because there were some really simple recipes. I highly suggest you check out this site for any last second Valentine's Day gift ideas.

My challenge to you is to make your own gifts this year. I think it really helps to show that you care about the recipient. Taking the time to bake is much more personal. Even if your baking adventure turns into a disaster (which, let’s face it, many of them do), I truly do believe it’s the thought that counts. If it turns out appalling, get some chocolate. It makes you happy.

Have fun and good luck.

2 comments:

  1. Did you make any homemade Valentine gifts this year?? If so, tell us about them--
    I agree with you, but why are they more meaningful? Thanks for the challenge....I make mine every year, plus making gifts helps us keep holidays for what they are supposed to be, not a day to buy, buy, buy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some cookies this year. Nothing too extravagant.

    I think homemade gifts are more meaningful because someone actually took the time to make you something. It's the thought. I think buying something is really easy so when someone takes the time to actually make something, it's special.

    ReplyDelete

Apture