Saturday, February 20, 2010

dutch baby


I love breakfast. It's by far my favorite meal of the day. I love pancakes and would live off cereal if I could. While I firmly believe you can't go wrong with the classics (french toast, pancakes, eggs, etc.) I would like to introduce you to one of my favorite breakfast items, the Dutch Baby. It's going to change your life. Ok, it probably won't really change your life, but it's really good nonetheless.

A Dutch Baby is a German pancake and that's the only thing I can say to describe it. It's different. You just need to try it and you'll understand what I'm saying here. You may have encountered the Dutch Baby before if you have been to The Original Pancake House, as it's one of their specialties. While I think The Original Pancake House makes a mean Dutch Baby, I still prefer the homemade ones. So, I'm going to let you in on a little recipe that my grandma always used.

Here's what you need:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk milk, flour, sugar and eggs together until smooth. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Tilt pan so butter coats sides. Pour mixture into hot skillet and cook without stirring for one minute. Place skillet in oven and bake until buffed and golden (12-15 minutes). After removing from oven, top with butter and powdered sugar.

Definitely try this out one morning. It's delicious. And filling. AKA the perfect breakfast.

Have fun and good luck.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good Beth! I will definitely have to try a dutch baby! But, how does it differ from a regular pancake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's the hard to explain part, but I'll take a stab at it. The biggest difference is the texture. Pancakes are typically a fluffy break-like texture while dutch babies are not like that at all. Dutch Babies do not have the bread-like consistency but I cannot think of a way to explain what it's actually like.

    ReplyDelete

Apture